Monday, September 20, 2010

Laced with Love: Peep This!

The morning of my wedding was a whirlwind. I spent about four or five hours getting ready and all of sudden, it was time to go downstairs to see Mr. Lace.  It all happened so fast and I was about to partake in the part of my wedding day that I totally didn't plan. That's right. I didn't plan our first look. Well, that's not completely true.  Mr. Lace and I knew what time we'd meet and that we'd meet at the hotel that I was getting ready at, but that's all.  After Mr. Lace arrived, he spoke to MOH C and then Hanssie did the rest. Hanssie went to find Chris. Her second shooter, Michelle, stayed with me. I walked when she told me to walk. I waited when she told me to wait.  I had no clue what was going on with Mr. Lace, but my photogs had everything under control.  All of a sudden, Michelle had me walk out and after a brief pause she said, "Okay, in a second I'm going to have you turn around and you're going to walk to Mr. Lace and tap him on the shoulder."  


I had no clue how close or far he was from me. For all I knew, he could be across the street. After a moment though, Michelle got in place and gave me the thumbs up to turn around. I turned around and realized we were on a grassy lawn in front of the hotel. Mr. Lace was only about 100 yards away, but everything seemed to go in slow motion.  As I got closer, I started crying and I thought, "I can't be crying already!"  In that moment, I wasn't really sure why I was crying, but in retrospect, I realize I was completely overwhelmed by the culmination of so many hopes and dreams of so many years. 


As I tapped Mr. Lace, on the shoulder, I felt like my day was really beginning. All photos courtesy of Hanssie Trainor.












I know everyone has different opinions about the First Look, but for Mr. Lace and I, it was perfect.  We had a few precious moments to ourselves before the whirlwind of events that would follow to say what we wanted to say and get a peep of each other before the ceremony. We ended up spending most of the early afternoon together taking photos before our ceremony.  Mr. Lace makes me feel calm and safe and being able to spend some time with him calmed me before our ceremony.  Had we not done the first look, I think I would've been a ball of nerves for the entire day.


What made you decide on having or not having a first look?



No comments:

Post a Comment