Monday, February 15, 2010

All the Small Things

Here's one of those things that I like to do and people shake their heads at me for wasting time on unnecessary work. *Shrug* It's all in the details.


So...if you're one of my BM's and you are reading this, this is a spoiler.  Go back to what you were doing.
For the BM gifts, I wanted to do a little day of survival kit. Not a novel idea, I know, but I love themed gifts and baskets so I thought I'd do one for the ladies. I started off with a cute monogrammed tote bag from Land's End and so far it's stuffed with a pair of flip flops, a thank you card and a Starbucks giftcard. In addition to that, I'm going to put together a few items that they might need like blotting sheets, bobby pins, Q-tips (my favorite eye makeup cleaner-upper when you've had a long day and your makeup is beginning to melt off your face), mouthwash, gum etc. I'm going to put it together in a cute little something that has not yet been determined. 


But, as I was shopping for a couple of these items, I thought, "they won't need 50 Q-tips or 50 blotting sheets. They'll really only need a few."  In fact, I'd be wasting a bunch of money that could go towards their other gift (that is also yet to be determined), if I could buy ONE pack of Q-tips and ONE pack of blotting sheets and split it up.


So, that's just what I did. I took them home and decided I'd figure out a way to split it up. I just needed a way to package these goodies up. So, I pulled out my x-acto blade and self-healing cutting mat and got to work. Sometimes, when I craft, I don't really have a plan except for what kind of paper I want to use and what I want to make. I don't really do a lot of measuring before. I envision what it should look like and measure as I go using my handy dandy Disney ruler (did I mention I love Disneyland?) and the grid on my cutting mat. So, I decided 8 Q-tips would be enough and cut out an envelope shape around it. All personal photos (I will add "take a photography class" to my ever-growing to-do list).




The dotted lines are where you'd need to score a line to help make a nice fold (Hint: Use a tongue depressor or popsicle stick and run it across your crease to make a crisp, flat fold).  Make all four scores and all four creases. 




Reopen and only fold down the top envelope flap (on the left in this photo) and bottom flap/back panel (on the right in this photo) of the envelope. I'm using a Q-tip here to determine where I should cut a line to tuck the top flap in and keep the envelope shut. Mark where you will begin and end the cut. 


Make sure that when you make the cut, you line it up with a ruler or on your cutting mat so that your cut is straight and not diagonal (unless you want it that way!). 




Place ZIPS along the top edge and side of the tab. They're clear, super sticky and can be purchased at Michael's with your 40% off coupon.  I've tried other brands before too, but sometimes the less expensive brands tend to not be as sticky. Fold the bottom panel over the tabs with ZIPS. 
Voila!  Notice that I cut a V into my back panel. I was going to leave it straight, but if I left it straight, you wouldn't be able to access the Q-tips as easily. If you choose to cut a V in, you need to make sure that you cut it before you begin putting ZIPS on your tabs. Also, make sure that your V covers the tabs that they're adhered to.




Insert Q-tips and tuck the top flap into the cut you made to keep it shut.


I did something similar for the blotting sheets. I bought the Clean and Clear blotting sheets from Target. This is the shape of the paper before it's assembled with the blotting sheet in the center as reference. To assemble, use zips on the bottom side of the tabs and adhere into the middle panel (without the blotting sheet there obviously).  The top flap inserts into the line. 




So that there's an easy access point to the blotting sheets, I use my circle punch to cut a half circle. Then insert blotting sheets. It takes a bit of tapping and shaking to get it to fall in and look neat.


So again, totally not necessary, but totally something that I would take the time to do. I plan to use letter stamps to stamp the name of what's inside the little packet/envelope. Did you spend time on something that really didn't matter that much just because you wanted to?

No comments:

Post a Comment