Sunday, February 14, 2010

Then I Will Do it Myself Part 2

I previously posted about all these beautiful sashes that I love, but am not willing to spend hundreds of dollars on.  I buckled down and began looking at different flowers at shops. Flowers on belts, shirts, headbands, clips, fascinators, cardigans, dresses and shoes.  I knew I had to just sit down and try to make some flowers and see how they turned out. I bought some fabric (with my 40% off coupon at JoAnn's), pulled out my sewing supplies and got to work. Here's what I came up with. Oh yes, and in case you were wondering who took these awesome photos with doubly awesome backgrounds (rose colored carpet anyone?), it was me!


I made a flower stencil using cardstock and pinned it to the fabric. I cut out a LOT of flowers. You'll know when to stop when your hand starts to throb. I suggest using a pair of good fabric scissors. The ones I have are Fiskars microtips (don't forget your JoAnn's 40% off coupon).  You need 6-10 flowers depending on how full you want your bloom to look. Thread a needle and knot it.

Fold one flower into fourths. It doesn't have to be particularly neat. String it onto your needle.

Do this with all your flowers. In this photo, I have six flowers. I arranged four on the bottom and two on top. Arrange them until you are happy with the way it looks.

Put a couple of stitches through the flower to secure all the petals.

I didn't buy any beads or pearls or other bling to put in the middle yet so I whipped out my box of buttons and such that I collect from my clothes. That's right...Ahiru No Pekkle. That's vintage right there!

Black center like an anemone?

With some bling?


I made 10. I bought monogrammed tote bags as a part of my BM and flowergirl gifts so I'm going to make these into pins and attach them onto their bags after I figure out what kind of beads to use as the center.

I'm still experimenting with different fabrics and flower styles to find a good combination for my sash. Many of my flowers are in green only because it was the most inexpensive fabric I purchased and I bought a lot of it, so it ended up being my guinea pig fabric. For my sash and fascinator, the flowers will be made in ivory.

The Gardenia

The Twisted Bloom


The Rose

The Dahlia

Help hive! Which flowers should I keep? Which should I ditch?

No comments:

Post a Comment