Thursday, June 24, 2010

Are You Ready to Rumble?



Sorry, I wish it had a cool video to play along, but I couldn't find one.  Anyway, my brother used to always play this song as he was getting ready for basketball games and I always associated it with preparing for something big, something exciting.  So, as I got ready to write this post, this is the first song that popped into my head and thus, the title was born. Can you imagine me playing this song on the morning of the wedding, jumping on the bed as everyone else in the room is getting ready? :)

Today is my last day as Miss Lace.  Tonight, I'll be sitting in a very nice Orange County hotel with full amenities, but I can't help but wish I lived a bit closer to a venue so I could spend my last night as Miss Lace in my white wooden bed that Mr. Lace helped me build, see my white wooden desk with my Harry Potter collection sitting on the corner, surrounded by my many photographs of family and friends, look through my bookcases of books (which, when I told Mr. Lace we'd have to move, he said, "why? Haven't you read all those books already?") and use my plush throw from Restoration Hardware one last time. I know what you're thinking, "you can still bring all your stuff over to your new house with Mr. Lace."  It's true, but it'll be different.  Something about this change creates a bit of dissonance within me.  On the one hand, I am so excited to start my life and home with Mr. Lace, but on the other hand, I'm a little sad to be leaving my home for so many years behind.  It's a big change and my feelings are bittersweet.

I'm a ball of emotion. Everything that I've been doing this week has been filled with emotion. I felt giddy as I went to pick up my wedding dress.  I thought to myself, "this is my last Thursday as a single lady."  I felt nervous excitement even as I drove from one wedding errand to another. I'm excited to get all gussied up with my girls. I'm nervous about seeing Mr. Lace for the first time. I'm ready to see all of our planning through.  I'm worried about how things will go even though every single bride I've talked to said to just let it go and roll with the punches (though they speak from wisdom and experience, it's hard to adopt that mindset from this side of the wedding).  My vows are done, all my luggage is ready to go and I'm ready to do this!

You know how people write wedding vows to say during the ceremony? Well, we should call those marriage vows.  We should write vows about the actual wedding. Here are mine:

Tomorrow, I promise to smile when Uncle Lee is red in the face from drinking too much beer and talking at supersonic levels. I promise that I won't grimace if my bouquet doesn't turn out exactly the way I want. I promise that I will sit down and eat dinner...all of it.  I promise to not be a bridezilla.  I promise to look the other way when Aunt Marge takes a little icing off the cake thinking no one is watching. I promise to answer gracefully instead of rolling my eyes when our relatives suggest anything about having children.  I promise to have fun. I promise to enjoy Mr. Lace, myself and our big day.

I feel like a kid (umm..or a young at heart adult :)) the night before a trip to Disneyland!  My heart is racing with excitement now as I get ready to start the wedding festivities.  Today I'm a Miss. Tomorrow I'll be a Mrs.! See you on the other side, Hive!

No comments:

Post a Comment