Monday, April 12, 2010

DIY Regret

Now that our rehearsal dinner is booked, I moved on to making some thank you cards for some of our helpers that aren't in the bridal party.

1. Officiant: Mr. Lace's pastor is officiating our wedding. He's such a warm and caring person and we're so glad to have him not only providing our premarital counseling, but also officiating our wedding. He's spent hours with us in premarital counseling, giving us advice, listening to our stories and just being there for us.

2. Music: Our friend Mike is an awesome musician. He's played in local coffeehouses and bars and he seriously ROCKS at Rock Band!  We've asked him to play some music for us at our wedding and we just KNOW he's going to be awesome.

3. Coordinators: Two of my awesome friends, Pris and Nancy are my day of coordinators.  I don't need to hire professionals because these two girls have coordinated dozens of weddings for friends and family and do an awesome job!  When we were considering who to do this for us, these two girls popped into my head. I feel good that this day will be in their hands.

4. Flowers: Mr. Lace's aunt and uncle run a modest flower shop specializing in flowers for the Thai culture and they volunteered their services for our wedding day as our wedding gift. What a gift huh?! This weekend, we plan on going with them to the Flower Mart to figure out flowers.  We're so grateful that they'll be helping us and gives our reception a personal touch.

So, to say thank you, I decided to make thank you cards for these special helpers.  This is one of the projects I absolutely knew I wanted to do.  There was no doubt in my mind that I'd make cards for my helpers. Then, why-oh-why, did I end up regretting this project?!

(personal photos)

I really did want to make cards myself as a thank you for all the time and effort are helpers are putting into the wedding, but here's why I would've reconsidered this DIY.

1. I wanted them to be a bit *more* than they turned out, but had to modify along the way because the project was taking too long.
2. This project took me a long time because I spent time buying paper first and then spending time making the cards. Because of that, I had to spend a little time here, a little time there before I finished the project. It just sat there on the table taunting me while I was trying to get the next materials or supplies I needed to complete the cards.
3. They didn't turn out much nicer than a lot of awesome thank you cards that are out there. I saw cute thank you cards at Paper Source, Target and even TJ Maxx! Everytime I saw cute thank you cards, I couldn't help but think of how much time I could've saved buying cards.

Oh well. They are handmade and I put a time and love into them so hopefully our appreciation will be conveyed to our awesome helpers.

Did you regret a DIY project after you completed it?

No comments:

Post a Comment