Thursday, April 15, 2010

Envelope Backlash Part II

Remember the whole black envelope fiasco? Well, this past weekend, Mr. Lace, Momma Lace, Poppa Lace and Brother Lace went up to Oakland to visit my grandparents. It was my grandma's 90th birthday and my relatives were throwing her a birthday bash.   I was a little nervous, but decided I should go no matter what my grandparents might say to me. After all, you don't turn 90 everyday!


So, we made the drive up north on Friday after work and stayed overnight in San Jose to do some shopping at Santana Row and Valley Fair on Saturday before heading up to the birthday dinner. 


(personal photo)

Not a great photo, but we were stuffed from the ten course dinner. Anyway, when I went in and greeted the many family members. I somewhat dreaded going up to my grandparents, but I ran out of hands to shake.  I was a little less nervous about approaching my grandmother since Momma Lace had talked to her since the whole envelope deal and she had seemed to get over the whole ordeal.  I approached her, wished her a happy birthday and told her I was so glad to see her.  She talked to me like nothing had happened. I felt so relieved. Then, I went on to talk to my grandfather. He's not much of a smiler anyway so the stern look on his face didn't surprise me. Then, I went to shake his hand and say hello and he said, " Joan, I loved your invitation! You did such a nice job! I will definitely be there."  WHAT? Did he say he loved the invitation? Are we talking about the same invitation here? It's like he erased the memory of receiving a black envelope from his mind and replaced it with a new one.  I quickly wrapped up the conversation and took a seat next to Mr. Lace. 

He looked at me and wondered why I had that funny expression on my face. I recounted the story to him and Mr. Lace ended up with the same expression on his face! 

I guess that turned out alright and I didn't get slapped across the face by my 97 year old grandfather like I thought. :)

Did you come across wedding plans that rubbed your family members the wrong way?

No comments:

Post a Comment