Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I was determined to get some wedding DIY's done this weekend so I whipped out my votives that I purchased from the Salvation Army.


I punched along the top of a piece of vellum and wrapped it around.
Boo. The vellum was too low and didn't give enough of that warm, glowy effect I was hoping for. So, I moved the vellum up.

Yes, that's it! BUT, when I tried this with a piece of vellum that reached all the way to the bottom of the votive, it didn't work. The vellum didn't meet evenly on the backside, but overlapped upward! My votives aren't straight cylinders. They are ever so slightly smaller on the bottom, but enough that wrapping a wider sheet of vellum around would make it plainly clear that this DIY was a bust.

Maybe some people wouldn't care and most of my guests probably wouldn't notice either, but I do. I shouldn't. But I do. :(

I was going for something like this which I can do on the bigger glass containers I have.

So, I was off to figure something...anything out. I decided to wrap the entire votive with vellum. I first cut out a curved piece of vellum that would nicely fit around the votive. I stamped it just because it looked so darn plain.
Then I wrapped it and lit it up.
Warm, glowy effect - check.  But, I don't like it. it doesn't have the same feel as my doily edged votive.  So, at the end of that evening, I had nothing done and no solution to my DIY fail.

I decided I could suck it up and just cover the votives completely like pictured above, do that and add something to it, have the vellum only go halfway up the votive, or some awesome novel idea that I haven't yet conjured up.

How would you solve this problem? Have you had any roadblocks in your wedding projects?

No comments:

Post a Comment